Bowen in Transition
Building Community Resilience From the Bottom Up
Dave Pollard is co-founder of Bowen in Transition and a member of the international Transition Movement. Since 2010 Bowen in Transition has developed many programs to facilitate community resilience on Bowen Island. In his very engaging and stimulating talk, Dave described each of the programs as well as the philosophy and relevance of the Transition Movement.
After only a decade of action on Bowen Island, Bowen in Transition has initiated an impressive list of projects.
- Fix it Fairs — spring & fall
- Sustainability Tours — biennial
- Fact-finding Tours: Salt Spring, Gabriola, Lasqueti
- Energy Audits/ Thermal Camera Rental
- Climate Action on Bowen — video series
- Food Resilience (BIFS): Diagnostic, regenerative agriculture & soil remediation program: research & analysis
- Canning & preserving workshops
- Tree-planting project
- Permaculture training — annual workshop
- Bowen Solar Initiative (BSI) (solar panels & heat pumps)
- Community Investment Co-op (CIC)
- Bowfest Information Booth
- Future Forward Film Series
- Sustainability Photography Exhibit
- Hear & Soul / Inner Transition
- Solstice/Equinox Celebrations
- Green Guide revisions (bowengreenguide.com)
- Gift/Sharing Circle — annual
- Monthly Potlucks with resilience guest speakers / mini-workshops
- Awareness: Facebook page, Undercurrent articles, newsletter
- Charitable Status
- Community Currency Project (on hiatus)
- Natural Building Project (on hiatus)
- Homebuilder’s Video Series
For current information about Bowen in Transition, visit the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bowenintransition/
To read more about Dave Pollard, visit is very popular blog: How To Save The World.
To find out more about the Transition Movement, visit the Transition Network.
Please Log in to make an announcement