Rotary Run for Rwanda 2021
Posted By Hilary Butler
It was an ideal Saturday on Bowen Island for a run — sunny but not too hot — and the crowd that turned out to the Rotary Run for Rwanda was enthusiastic and competitive! Grandparents, sons and daughters, grandsons and daughters, friends and relatives and even a few dogs, everyone seemed to be having a great time.
At the end, it was tough to sort out the serious runners from the others, but we managed to work out the winners in time for the prize-giving, with belated apologies to the Bentall and Kenney family.
Winners for the 5K are as follows:
- Male: 1st Andre Blazhkevich (19:59); 2nd Zachary Kennedy (20:00); 3rd Kieren Bloomfield (20:02)
- Female: 1st Katie Brougham (20:35); 2nd Callie Brougham (21:12); 3rd Monica Arcadi (21:42)
- 14 & under: Male: lst Jack Bentall (25:01); 2nd Ty Kenney (26:15)
- 14 & under Female: lst Mira Everaars (25:25); 2nd Katherine Kennedy (26:48)
- 10 & under: Male: lst Rory Bentall (26:21); 2nd Will Butler (28:35)
- 10 & under Female: lst Mabel Butler Gutelius (26:55); 2nd Dela Butler Gutelius (32:22)
Detailed results of the 5K run can be found at Komera Canada Race Results.
We are very grateful to all our sponsors for their generous support: B.I. Properties, Frits de Vries Architects, Dr. Gloria Chao, Barbara Wahler Interior Design, McTaggart Water, Ruddy Potato, Artisan Eats, Snug Café, General Store, Savary Island Pie Co., Phoenix, Union Steamship Co., Cates Pharmacy, and last but not least the Undercurrent for accepting all our articles!
We took lots of pictures — including the start of the race, and of each runner at the finish. You are welcome to review all of these. To see the camera clock to the nearest second, check the EXIF for the image. If you’d like a full-size image for publication, please contact the author of this article. This material is copyright. The images are available for review at Bowen Rotary Flickr.